Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reflective Cover Letter First Draft

For my portfolio I have chosen three pieces of writing along with my “Trend Analysis.” The three pieces I chose are: the “Diagnostic Essay” assignment, the “This I Believe” assignment, and the “Annotating a Scholarly Article” assignment.
            The “Diagnostic Essay” assignment was to write an essay reflecting on how or indeed whether schools and colleges should adapt technology. I had three sources to use for this. I had to synthesize them into the paper and cite and document them properly. I included this piece in my portfolio because it was the first assignment of the semester and I want to show where my writing started. In my first draft I used two of the three sources and I synthesized them well. But, I put a lot of information in my first paragraph, and I need reorganize some of the information to make the essay flow better and make it easier to follow for readers. I also should incorporate the third source into the paper.
            The second piece I have chosen to include is the “This I Believe” essay. This assignment is asking me to write an essay on one of my core beliefs. It should tell a story on how this belief was formed, tested, or changed. It should be something personal that only I know. It should be written in a way that is comfortable to read out loud, and it should be between 350 and 500 words. I chose this piece because I wrote about someone that is very important to me, my grandmother.
            The Third piece I chose is the “Annotating a Scholarly Article” assignment. This assignment asks to write an annotation of a scholarly article that is at least two paragraphs long and contains both a summary and evaluation of that article. The first line or two should have the full bibliographical information in the correct MLA format. The first paragraph should contain a summary of the article highlighting the main points. The second paragraph should evaluate the credibility, timeliness, and usefulness of the article. I chose to include this piece because it was preparing us for the “Trend Analysis” paper. It showed us to really do research, to be able to determine if a piece of research will be able to help us. It shows us how to also properly cite an article, and how to use databases for information.
            The fourth piece included in my portfolio is the “Trend Analysis” paper. This assignment asks to clearly state a thesis that identifies a trend. The causes and effects of this trend must be clearly defined through the use of sources. These sources must be documented and cited properly throughout the paper. There has to be at least two scholarly sources used, and there needs to be a works cited page.
            As a writer I feel that my work has changed over the course of the semester. Starting with the “Diagnostic Essay” I was not exactly sure of what was expected of me as a writer, but as the semester went on I learned what was expected. Ending with the “Trend Analysis” as a compilation of everything I have learned throughout the semester is a good way to end.  Input from you and from my partner has helped me figure out what my strengths are and what needs work. Everything has been a work in progress and I hope to take with me everything that I learned this semester and apply it to all of my other writing in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment